Traffic Operations Current and Future

Posted by chrislharris chrislharris

Traffic Operations Current and Future

One of our goals is to make sure the I-29 Corridor operates efficiently well into the future. Today, delay and congestion are minimal within the corridor, with traffic flowing exceptionally well on mainline I-29.

However, a few pockets of congestion do exist:

       • Gateway Drive, particularly at the East Ramp intersection (especially when trains are blocking Gateway Drive to the east!)

       • 32nd Avenue at 38th Street during peak commuting hours

Currently, the corridor experiences minimal delay and congestion; however, we projected future traffic volumes to determine the congestion impact in the future. We used expected growth rates of areas around the City and found that congestion will completely overburden many of the current interchanges. Here are a few highlights:

Gateway Drive

 - Increasing commercial and industrial demand is expected to cause this interchange area to operate deficiently by 2040. Gateway Drive and the East I-29 ramp and 43rd Street intersections will become completely inundated with traffic. Closely spaced signalized intersections around the interstate will result in queues that extend back through intersections, limiting overall capacity. By 2040, the East ramp intersection will generate queues that extend almost onto I-29. This already takes place when a train passes through the Glasston Subdivision, just east of 42nd Street.

DeMers Avenue

 - By 2040, nearly every intersection in this area will operate deficiently during the A.M. peak, and travel time through the interchange area is expected to increase by eight minutes, taking nearly four times longer to get through the interchange than during free flow conditions. Furthermore, train traffic at 42nd Street just north of DeMers Avenue/ND 297 will create queueing that extends to the interchange and will likely reroute several thousand vehicles onto the interstate by 2040.

32nd Avenue

 - A massive amount of growth is forecasted within one mile of this interchange (more than 2,800 new jobs and 725 new households by 2040), which will start to overburden this interchange as soon as 2025. Specifically, in the future scenarios of 2025 and 2040, congestion is expected at the West Ramp, East Ramp and 38th Street. These delays also create congestion at the northbound and southbound off-ramps with queues extending onto mainline I-29. Travel time will more than double from 2015 to 2040 through this interchange area adding nearly two minutes over free flow travel time.

Where are you longest delays? Are there any locations within the study area that create a frustrating travel environment? Please share your experiences in the comment section.